Saturday, January 8, 2011

Ah, Seattle!

Earlier this week I returned to New York from my wonderful holiday break in Seattle. I had a difficult task this year. Unlike my 2009-10 break in which I spent six luxurious weeks on the West Coast—this year I had only two weeks to juggle friends, family and thesis research. Frankly, I think I did a pretty good job. On the research front I spent two days at the UW library, two at MOHAI, and one interviewing a former seamstress in John Doyle Bishop’s shop (she is now 89). My parents probably wish they had me at home more, but I did spend some wonderful days and evenings enjoying my parents cooking, watching astounding things on their new Blu-Ray player, and appreciating the fact that they seem to never get sick of my constant chatter. The days around Christmas were spent exclusively at their house, with the day after Christmas being the epic Messiah sing-along. I also spent some wonderful time with friends, perhaps the highlight of which was a 3-day trip to a cabin near Mt. Rainier to celebrate New Year’s. It was gorgeous. Below is an actual picture taken of our view while we were there:



Pretty nice, huh? Even so, I prefer this one:


Much better!


Even though I am liking New York more and more, Seattle still feels like home. I am, however, looking forward to spending January in New York. The semester doesn't start until February, so I'll have a few weeks to enjoy the city and have less work hanging over my head. I'm excited to see what 2011 will hold!


No comments:

Post a Comment