Saturday, November 13, 2010

Simple Joys


I haven't written much about my menswear class but it is one I am really enjoying. Like Medieval art, I think it is one of those topics that seems bizarre and boring until you actually start studying it, and then suddenly you can't get enough. Menswear is like a whole different language of aesthetics and sensibilities and I find myself wanting to interrogate the males in my life about color and pattern and why they wear what they wear (and why don't they wear floral embroidered waistcoats anymore??).


This week in class we had a paper to turn in and a presentation to give about a museum artifact. I've been very busy and was pretty drained by the time our thursday evening class rolled around. At break I decided to talk to my professor about my final paper topic. At the end of the conversation I found myself overwhelmed with cheerfulness and the euphoria lasted for most of the evening. What had caused this? Three simple words: Patterned Novelty Pants


Our final paper is supposed to use a primary source as a starting point (an actual object, a photo, a fashion plate). I had recently found this amazing photo of a Seattle guy with his initials monogrammed all over his pants and thought maybe I could use it to look into the history of monogramming. I wasn't thrilled with the idea, but I thought it could be fun. Of course then my professor turned around and suggested that I take it in a different direction. That direction being men's Patterned Novelty Pants. HOW FUN IS THAT? For the record, she said that plaid pants didn't count because that would be "too easy."

I've barely gotten started, but I have a few weeks ahead of me to search for photos and examples of crazy pants worn by men. So far I've found this website and done several google image searches for Liberace (which has brought up a whole new issue --do hotpants count?). So if you'd like to help me out dear readers, be on the lookout for fun men's pants and send me any pictures or leads.


I can't believe how excited I am about this. On Thursday night I practically danced home thinking about it. The FDA should totally approve Patterned Novelty Pants as a natural mood enhancer.


No comments:

Post a Comment