Friday, September 3, 2010

I Moved!

I did it! I successfully moved from Brooklyn to Manhattan! Once my room looks less like I dumped the contents of my suitcases on the floor (which I miiiiight have done) I will post pictures. In the meantime, I’ll share some tidbits from the move.


In terms of doing the actual move, I was sort of lost. I had just enough stuff to make it hard to do on my own (on the subway or with taxis), but not enough to make it worthwhile to hire movers. Someone suggested renting a U-haul, but driving a giant van in New York sounded worse that taking 50 trips on the subway. So for a while I was planning to go with the subway method. But then I had a lucky break--someone moving out of Menno House was renting a U-haul and wanted to share. When she explained that she had to drive it the whole time for insurance purposes, I became very enthusiastic. So on Monday I put on my running clothes and spent a hot, sweaty day moving.


Once I had the U-haul planned, I realized I didn’t have enough boxes. I mentioned this to one of my coworkers, and she had a quick answer. “Just go to the liquor store,” she said, “They always have boxes.” Hmm. Interesting. So I approached my local store, and said, “This might be an odd request, but I am moving soon and…” “Yeah, sure, boxes.” The guy said. He called over another employee and they brought me what they had. Amazing! So I moved into Menno House with my stuff packed in containers for rum and Jack Daniels.


The U-haul day was Monday, but I didn’t officially start living at Menno House until Wednesday (the bulk of my stuff hung out in the MH basement in the meantime). On Wednesday it was sort of sad to say goodbye to John. We had a good rapport, and I think he was sorry to see me go. His new roommate seems cool, but he is bringing another older cat into the apartment. That means that there will be two 16 year old cats and one 10 year old without teeth. I can’t help but think that I got out just before the apartment became a geriatric kitty ward. (Just before I left, John had to ban one of the cats from his bed because she was getting into the habit of pooping there instead of going all the way to the litter box.)


I had one class on Wednesday, and through most of it I kept thinking about how exciting it would be to walk home when class was over. If my first night is anything to go by, I think my time at Menno House will be pretty great. We shared a delicious house dinner and then had a Beyoncé dance party while cleaning the kitchen. Then, when I mentioned that I owned seasons 1-5 of Project Runway on DVD, half the house got super excited and wanted to get started on season 1 right away.


By the way, to give you an update from my last post, Thailand apparently won the costume contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment