Saturday, August 22, 2009

8/20/09 Train Trip Day 3


Today was mostly the same routine. I got to see Minnesota and Wisconsin before the train stopped in Chicago (so add Illinois to the list if you are keeping score). Milwaukie wins for having the grimmest train station. Most of our other stops consisted of a little station, some outdoor benches, and a paved platform. I got in the habit of getting out to walk around every time we had a long stop so I figured Milwaukie would be no exception. However, the stop was under some kind of overpass (so it was dark), had no visible station (nothing to look at), and something near the station smelled really bad (possibly poop). I returned to my cabin immediately.

Once in Chicago I hauled my pile of stuff to the first class lounge and I camped out there for most of my layover. Like the train-attached hermit I had become, I went out only once to search for food. I followed signs for the “food court” and was led to the bottom of a set of escalators that were only headed down. I stood there for a while, staring longingly up to the unreachable food court. Eventually I found my way to the secret up escalator and was able to locate a pretty decent sandwich.

Later in the evening I boarded my second and final train. I still had a roomette, but this was on a “Viewliner” train so it was a bit different. The train was not double-decker so the rooms had higher ceilings, and I had my own toilet and sink. Having the toilet made the room bigger, but it still seemed weird. The toilet was not in a separate room, it was sort of like if you had a toilet attached to the end of your couch. It would be convenient, but weird. I assumed I wouldn’t have to use it but it turned out there were no public restrooms in the hallway. So I pulled the blinds closed and used the creepy room toilet.

Soon after the train left Chicago, we entered Indiana. Even though I was nowhere close to Richmond, I got strangely excited and a part of me felt like I was coming home. I think this bodes well. I love Seattle, but if I have a place in my heart for Indiana, I think there is room for New York too.

No comments:

Post a Comment