Saturday, August 22, 2009

8/18/09 Train Trip Day 1


For most of Tuesday I was being reminded that nothing unhinges me quite like packing [also known to certain college roommates as “rodent mode”]. I basically went through several phases of panic, weepiness, and gnawing on furniture. Eventually the time came to go to the train station, and my parents and I loaded up the car with bags of stuff to go back home, suitcases, and Olivia Geffner.

Once at the station I checked my two 49.5 pound bags (the limit was 50) and sat down to wait. Along with Mom, Dad, and Olivia, I was eventually joined by Ethan, Holly, Meera, and Elise. I felt so loved! Unlike air travel there was no security, and once the train was open for boarding everyone got to crowd on and check out my roomette. For those of you not familiar with high-class train travel, a “roomette” on a Superliner train, consists of two single person couch/chairs facing each other with a retractable table between. There is a sliding door, a tiny closet (big enough for about one to two outfits on hangers) and a small shelf. At night the chairs become flat to make a lower bunk, and an upper bunk comes down from the ceiling. The space is small, but private. I was on the lower floor the train which I was initially disappointed by, but later I liked because there was no through-traffic down my hallway.

So basically I made all my train-mates jealous, because I had a charming team of well-wishers there to see me off (really—I heard several passengers ask if I was the “popular” one who had all the friends at the station). We all had this idea that we would wave as the train pulled away, just as in days of yore. It didn’t pan out quite like that though, since in true Amtrak style, the train decided to depart late. So the goodbye party decided to wave while walking backwards in slow motion down the platform. It was pretty classy.

Once alone in my room, I got a little weepy. Then the car attendant offered me some complimentary Champagne and I cheered up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment