Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Developing The Eye

Remember that awesome dress I wore to my awards dinner last month? Sometimes I just sit around and think about how awesome that dress is.


I know, right?

Well, one day I was sitting in my room thinking about how much I love that dress, and a lightbulb went off in my head. Hey! That pattern looks familiar! So I looked up at my bookshelf...



The wacky zig-zag pattern on my 2011 Anthropologie dress is an exact copy of a 1920s furniture pattern. My book had this to say:

"Block-printed linen furnishing fabric, designed by F. Gregory Brown, produced by William Foxton, 1922. This fearlessly modern pattern was one of the textiles shown by Foxton at the Paris Exposition in 1925. Not surprisingly, F. Gregory Brown was awarded a gold medal."

Not just any 1920s fabric- a gold medal fabric. How appropriate!

A few days later my Modern Textiles professor came in to Special Collections to do some research and I showed her my find. She was impressed, and told me with a tone of pride that I was "developing my eye." But then she pointed out to me that it was unlikely that the designer paid for the use of the pattern, and was just straight-up ripping it off. She/he can get away with it because so few people have the knowledge to call you out on it.

Then I started imagining myself as the lead in a fashion copyright detective show called "The Eye."

No comments:

Post a Comment